Friday, September 20, 2013

August 20, 2013

This is another this-n-that post.  I've been somewhat absent lately so I thought I'd try to catch up on some posts.

First, its almost fall!!  Fall is my favorite time of year for so many reasons.  But, one thing is certainly brings to mind is harvest time.  My own garden (what survived) is starting to die off for the season and we're collecting the last of the tomatoes that have chosen to hang on till now.  If you have such an abundant harvest that your friends and neighbors are starting to avoid you for fear of having to accept another peck of cucumbers, there's help.  In fact, you can unload your excess produce and help your community at the same time.  Here's how: Go to the Ample Harvest web page and click on the "Gardeners" link.  There you can plug in your zip code and it will direct you to food pantries in your area that would be happy to take extra produce off your hand. 

I wish I would have known about this site when my zucchini plants were chugging out a dozen squash per week.  Next time...

A while ago I mentioned a website called Teach Your Monster to Read.  For us, its been a nice website for my youngest to sit at to practice reading skills in an entertaining way.  She's coming along quite well, by the way.  Its one of a few websites I use to help occupy her so she doesn't distract the other kids during school.  She does enjoy it very much.  Just recently they added Teach Your Monster to Read 2 which is about fun with words.  From my look at it, it will help reinforce blends, diphthongs, and sight words.  Again, looks like a great little entertaining game for my daughter to use when she's not otherwise occupied.

Need to encourage some writing in your student?  Would a contest help?  I've been pondering that myself.  Would entering an essay contest be an undue and stressful burden or would it inspire my students to do their absolute best?  Hmmm...  If interested, I found this essay contest for 9-12th and this essay contest open to 5th-8th graders sponsored by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the National Italian American Foundation.  The essay is in regards to Christopher Columbus.  Details can be found here and here and by contacting your local DAR chapter.  The local DAR chapter should have information on the topic to be written as well as the deadline and where to mail the entry.

Last, this year has been rough so far.  And, we're only in week 4!!  Here are a few articles that have helped me out thus far:
This post from Live Life with Your Kids was a good reminder of how to focus on learning and not just following a curriculum.
This post from Lysa TerKeurst reminded me that I have a choice in how I respond to my frustrations and that I want a good mood to rule my house.
And last, I've gotten some great reading, encouragement, and ideas from The Old Schoolhouse magazine.  Its now online and FREE.  I hope you find it useful too.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog post! All comments are moderated so your message may not appear immediately.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...