Monday, April 16, 2012

Gardening Time - for education, of course!

Its time once again to consider a garden.  I think it was last year when I posted about how I love to garden (though, it doesn't always love me) and it is an activity full of learning opportunities.  Even when the kids' interest has long faded, I still include them because when those first fruits of our labor arrive in the kitchen, they beam with pride.

Here are a couple of resources to consider if you would like to have a garden this year.  First, Dole has put together a garden kit.  It includes, peat pots, soil mix, seeds, and more to get you started.  The cost is $19.95 which is reasonable especially for convenience sake.

If you are a super-frugal gardener, you can pick up some seeds from the local store and start them in small containers you've collected or even ones you can make from newspaper as described in this post from Cottage Hill blog.

Another resource I've found is the book Lasagna Gardening by Patricia Lanza.  It's a less labor-intensive way to build a garden.  Easy- peasy, which is exactly what I need.  You may be able to find it in your local library.  If not, you may be able to Google it and find the same information as it has become a very popular method in the gardening world.  I own my own copy because I like to underline and highlight things.  The library tends to not like that.

So, as the weather continues to warm up for Spring, I'll keep dreaming of my soon-to-be garden.  I can't wait!

-A

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love gardening and am sure to include my kids. They aren't always happy to come, but usually leave the garden happy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog post! All comments are moderated so your message may not appear immediately.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...