Thursday, January 26, 2012

Really Cool Math Videos!

I am not a math-minded person. 

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what kind of "minded" I am - except that on many days I feel I've lost mine.

Anywho...

I came upon Vi Hart's blog and watched a few of her videos.  I found them to be amazing in a "WOW! - but I could never re-explain that" sort of way.  They truly are fascinating.  Her focus is on Math - a subject I grasp just well enough to spit out some numbers now and then, some of them correct.  Vi Hart, on the other hand, has a firm grasp on the understanding of Math and many of its complexities. 

These videos are just plain amazing.  I don't expect that you would necessarily use them for schoolwork except as an interesting aside.  Yet, if your kids are studying biology or botany, the videos on "Spirals, Fibonacci, and Being a Plant" parts 1, 2, and 3, are very interesting, as is the video regarding Spongebob's house.  If you or someone in your household is really math-minded, the video "Pi is (still) Wrong" or "Oh no, Pi politics again" are interesting.  If you've been busy learning how to make balloon animals, you could practice your stuff making some mathematical models with balloons, just click on her balloon page.

Vi Hart very much understands her subject and communicates it in a fascinating way.  She makes me wish I had paid more attention in Geometry class.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog post! All comments are moderated so your message may not appear immediately.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...