Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Miscellaneous

Life has been a bit busy lately.  Yet, I felt I shouldn't ignore my blog for too long.  So, this is a "miscellaneous" post where you'll learn about some of the places on the Internet I've visited lately. 

But, don't expect too much - between de-Christmasing my house, finishing up one semester with the kiddos and starting a new one, and nursing a cold where I can only breathe through one nostril at a time, these links will most likely have you wondering how much cold medicine I took before writing this.

...or how much oxygen is cut off when you can only breathe through one nostril.  Honestly, that really bugs me.

So, here goes...

I've started my plan on reading the Bible through in a year.  As I've been reading Genesis and re-discovering the odd and interesting family relationships mentioned, I became curious as to what the family genealogy would look like.  Here's one link that was interesting to look at.  I tried printing it off and it didn't work for me.  But, its neat to look at anyway.  It gets interesting right around "Terah."

Ever have someone mispronounce something and it just seemed to get under your skin?  Most of the time I can just shrug it off.  But, if its someone, like say...oh I dunno... my husband mispronouncing the word, by all means it MUST be corrected.  Then comes the disagreement about how to pronounce it followed by a trip to the dictionary that proves unhelpful because we then have a disagreement about how the pronunciations are written out.  [exasperated sigh]  Howjsay to the rescue.  This is an online pronunciation dictionary.  Very helpful...until you realize that the speaker guy just said that both pronunciations are acceptable.  Not cool, Mr. English accent...not cool.

My hubby and I had a conversation recently about supporting the poor around us.  We may not have a lot of disposable income, but we are rich compared to much of the world.  Yet, we don't particularly believe in giving handouts, either.  Yes, donations of clothing and other items are appropriate and helpful.  But, there's more that can be done.  Its the whole "teach a man to fish" concept.  So, lately we've been looking at microfinance opportunities - where we can give a little to help back loans that are then made available to working poor and disadvantaged.  The loans help the working poor to develop their business or farm, or whatever they need the money for, so they can make a better living.  Normally, loans wouldn't be available to these individuals, but through certain organizations they can happen.  Two such organizations we have been looking at are World Vision and Kiva.

A friend introduced me to this interactive periodic table.  Pretty neat!  I've got it bookmarked since my son will be doing some elementary chemistry this semester.

I went to a wedding not long ago where one of my table-mates said that she was a housewife who did balloon animals for birthday parties, etc. on the side.  That seemed interesting.  Turns out there's money to be made in balloon animal making.  Someone should come up with a fancy name for that.  Anyway, perhaps I'll start planting that idea in my son's head...you know, in case his plans to be a video game tester don't work out (no lie).  Here's a site I found on how to make balloon animals.

This is a live feed of a couple of barn owls in California - via the Sportsman's Paradise Online website.  This will be fun to watch with my daughter who will be studying birds this next semester.  Maybe they'll even have some babies soon!  There are lots of other cameras to look at on the site too.

Well *yawn* I think my cold medicine has finally kicked in.
Till next time,
-A

2 comments:

  1. A neighbor of ours started out balloon animaling to earn some money while between jobs. Now he works 2-3 jobs a week. Says its the most fun he's had making money. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks MissMOE! I am feeling a bit better, thanks. I would take up balloon animaling myself but balloon sounds (both blowing them up and the squeaky sound they make when you rub them) are among the things that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on edge. Childhood memories....long story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog post! All comments are moderated so your message may not appear immediately.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...