Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Current Events in Pictures

I posted about a current events website not long ago.  Well, here's another one.  Boston.com has a page called "The Big Picture."  That's precisely what it is - a big picture (and a small caption).  These are pictures from around the world.  They're pretty neat.  Click on "More Photos" underneath the main picture to get even more information.  (I would personally skip reading the comment section though.)  I can easily see how these could develop into a daily discussion of current events in my homeschool. 

These could be appropriate for just about any age.  But, of course, photography can be a powerful medium.  For younger or sensitive children, please preview the pictures first.  I didn't personally see any pictures that were inappropriate for young children, but I only scanned through a handful of pictures to get an idea of what the site was about.  I did appreciate that one picture regarding an earthquake in Turkey was black and a warning was posted that it contained "graphic or objectionable content."  It said to "click here" if I wished to view it.  I appreciate that type of warning as opposed to being assaulted with images as I am browsing the site.  Also, like I mentioned above, the comments, in my own opinion, should be avoided.  While many are benign, many others contain argumentative or disrespectful speech.  I feel that can take away from just learning about the events in the pictures themselves.
Enjoy!
-A

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the awesome resource. I've been wanting to add in current events in our school days. I think this is a great way to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog post! All comments are moderated so your message may not appear immediately.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...