Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Lessons on September 11th

September 11th will be, for my generation, one of those events that was so monumental that everyone remembers where they were when they heard about the attacks.  My son was born that year.  He has heard of wars and rumors of wars, and some of the politics surrounding those wars, but doesn't quite understand what September 11th, or 9/11, was.

My son is only 10.  When teaching him about the events on 9/11 I want to avoid instilling in him fear.  I want to avoid telling him of the events that will lead him to make racial or ethnic blanket judgements.  I want to avoid the political finger pointing that takes place when the mention of these events comes up, as so often happens.  And yet, I want to keep the discussion honest and truthful to the occasion.

Big order.  And, not one easily filled.

There are a few resources I found to help with this and here I will share them with you.  First, Currclick has a few resources for sale related to September 11th.  These are down loadable e-books.  When I looked, these were greatly discounted - most were under $1.  These resources were for the younger crowd.

For a more sober remembrance of the day, Legacy.com is a website dedicated to the lives that were lost on that day. 

Older students, 7th-12, are the target audience for the PBS website Heroes of Ground Zero.  This site focuses on the F.D.N.Y.  This site also includes a timeline of the events of 9/11.  If I understand correctly, this site is connected to a television program to be aired.  Check the site for times in your area, if interested.

I came across this article that had some very helpful tips about discussing the events of 9/11 with your children.  And, then this article shared 10 books that can be read with children to help teach and discuss the day. 

Why not take this opportune time to show support for those who serve as our everyday heroes (firefighters, police, first responders) and our U.S. military?  A simple Google search will help you find reputable organizations where you can help share support for our military such as through Adopt a US Soldier and the USO.  There are many ways to remember the day as well as to support those who serve and protect us.

Remembering,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog post! All comments are moderated so your message may not appear immediately.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...