Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Play Dough

There are tons of recipes for play dough on the Internet.  I thought I would share the one I like to use because not only is it easy to make, it smells wonderful, its non-toxic, and it has better texture than many of the recipes I've found.  I would happily cite where I got the recipe from if I could remember - oops!  I know I copied it down from somewhere and its been sitting in my recipe box for the last 10 years.  So, thank you to whomever discovered this.  We love it!


One of the nice things about this recipe is that its made with all edible ingredients.  While the play dough itself isn't particularly tasty, at least I don't worry about it when my kids decide to taste it.  Here's what you need:

1 c white flour
1/2 c salt
2 T cream of tartar
2 T vegetable oil
1 c warm water
1 3-oz. package of gelatin (any flavor)

This week my pre-schooler is learning about the color red, so our gelatin was raspberry flavored.

What to do:
Combine all the ingredients in a pan and stir. 


Stirring and working in the kitchen - 2 of my pre-schooler's favorite things.

While stirring, heat over medium heat.


Stir, baby, stir.


Stirring constantly is important because the mixture can burn easily.  Stir stir stir.

It will start to get lumpy.  Keep going.


This is close, but still needs to cook a tad longer.  See the shiny?  When its "done" the shiny will disappear.  But, its quick - stay on your toes.

When it starts to get really thick and hard to stir I remove the pan from the heat and continue to stir until its no longer shiny and has become a thick, sticky ball.

At this point I removed it from the pan to let it cool on a cutting board.


Cooking turns the liquid into thick goop like this.

It'll be hot.  As tempting as it is to want to play with it right away, don't.  It could cause burns. 
Once it has cooled enough to handle, knead and work it a little.  It'll become less sticky as you work with it and it cools.



My girls couldn't wait to play with their new play dough.  Store the dough in a zip lock bag and it will keep for a long time.

[Sniff]  MMMMmmmm...raspberry play dough.  Time to go play!

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog post! All comments are moderated so your message may not appear immediately.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...