Monday, August 29, 2011

Heraldry

In our own homeschool studies, we are learning about the Middle Ages.  This last week we touched on the topic of heraldry.  I was always a bit intrigued by heraldry and wondered if my ancestors once had a family crest.  Alas, I come from poor peasant stock.  My husband, however, according to Ancestry.com, is distantly related to royalty dating way waaaaay back.  Though, I do have my suspicions as to how accurate those family trees are.  Hmmm.....

Anyway, I came across this site where you can Make Your Coat of Arms and thought it  was interesting.  Its free to play around with and you can print off your creation when you're done.  If you really like the coat of arms you create, you can have it printed on shirts, bags, and such.  There wasn't any teaching about how heraldry worked during the process, which was disappointing.  But, playing around with it was kinda fun.  This site does require registration.

Another site we looked at, which had way more information than we could digest, but was fun to look around was at Fleur-de-lis designs.  This company actually makes coat of arms.  But, the information on the topic and symbols is free to look at.

If you want to get some practice with recognizing blazons (a heraldry term) you could try your hand at the heraldry game.

I wonder if a modern coat of arms would have cell phones and game controllers on it?

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog post! All comments are moderated so your message may not appear immediately.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...