Thursday, April 7, 2011

What to do about Computer Science?

I am on the hunt for a computer learning curriculum or class for my son.  It's time he learned more about technology than how to get a higher score on the video game he's been playing.
 Still looking...

Though, while at the homeschool conference, I did come across Graphics-Toolbox.  I was intrigued by what I learned and I can definitely see how being able to use this software would bolster creativity in my son's reports and writing assignments...and more.  As a homeschool teacher, I could use this product too for some great visuals or for notebooking purposes.  Really, there are many possibilities to how one would use this. 

But, it wasn't quite what I was looking for.  Perhaps I'll put it on my "wish list."

Another resource I was looking at was Essential Computer Skills.   This is closer to what I was aiming for.  Still, I'm not completely sold...yet.  I'll have to think on it a little longer.  The Essential Office Applications curriculum teaches word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software and says its appropriate for ages 10+.  There are also other books in the series that go further into how to make professional presentations and papers and even website development. 

Hmmmm...I'll have to think on this a bit longer. 

Another curriculum I came across was Homeschool Programming, Inc.  Now, this I know isn't the right curriculum for my son simply because it would be too advanced for him right now.  My son needs to get to know the basics first.  This curriculum teaches programming.  But, if my son shows interest in programming, this is definitely something I will be returning to. 

Well...I have a few months before I have to make any decisions on next year's curriculum.  I have plenty of decisions to make and more things to look into.  These are just a few to think on.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog post! All comments are moderated so your message may not appear immediately.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...