Friday, April 15, 2011

Flip Flopping

While at the Midwest Homeschool Convention I skimmed the program to look at which vendors were present.  One especially stood out to me (why - that's a whole 'nother story).  Anyway...I made my way to the booth and talked with the author of the curriculum and became very interested. 

Flip Flop Spanish is a curriculum that uses basic but effective techniques to teach Spanish.  I like how the author incorporates some of her learning strategies.  For example, to help your child focus on one page at a time, the book is spiral bound (fold the book back so only one page is showing at a time).  Flash cards are used with pictures on one side and the words on another so your child can associate a word with the visual and not just the written word.  And, this program involves using it a little each day.  After all, learning and using a foreign language only really happens when we are actually using or practicing it frequently.  As a very poor Spanish speaker, I really appreciate that each word comes with a phonetic pronunciation and a CD to hear the words on.

So, where does the "flip flop" come in?  I believe it refers to the way she instructs the students to review their vocabulary.  You'll have to check out the website and see for yourself.  Along with Spanish, French, German, and ESL are also offered.  Though, I didn't see a German product listed (most likely still in production).  Right now, the curriculum is available for ages 3-5 and 6-9.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog post! All comments are moderated so your message may not appear immediately.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...