Monday, April 4, 2011

Encouragement - Give Freely

I survived the Midwest Homeschool Convention in Cincinnati, OH!  What a weekend! 

If you homeschool and you've never been to a homeschool convention before, I highly recommend attending one.  As a Christian family we especially appreciate being encouraged not only in homeschooling, but in our own devotion and walk with the Lord and growth of our family.  Its like a huge smiley-face shot in the arm that comes just when I'm feeling weary and drained from my teacher/mom/wife duties.

One of my favorite things that I did at this convention was to encourage others.

Many of the authors and providers of homeschool curriculum and resources are family businesses.  And, its not easy being on the road and spending hours of your weekends talking and selling your product to people.  So, as I was browsing the aisles of the curriculum hall, I made sure to take the time to encourage the people who were selling their wares. 

I never did get to shake the hand of Chuck Black who is the author of the Kingdom series of books (which we LOVE).  Apparently there are throngs of people adore his books.  There was always a large crowd around that table.  But, I did get to talk to (what I think was) his wife.  I told her how much we have enjoyed the books, frowned when she said he wasn't going to continue the Knight series, and confessed to reading the books aloud to my son so I could hear the story too.  I'm curious to see what his next project will be.

I also got to say a quick word to Senior Gamache of La Classe Divertida - a beginning Spanish course that we have enjoyed this year. 

Then, I got to see and ask questions about a number of other curriculums.  Which, as being a teacher of my kids, is very fun.  For spelling, I have been having the kids do copy work and dictation.  Its been working very well, but I have had problems with picking out what exactly to have them copy and write.  Thankfully, someone at Simply Charlotte Mason has done all that work for me.  I'm looking forward to using Spelling Wisdom in the near future.

Do you have a favorite curriculum?  Did something you used finally help a subject "click" for your children?  Why not take a few minutes to write the author or the publisher about how much you enjoyed and appreciated their product?  Just think, the choices available for homeschooling even just a decade ago were far less than they are today.  Having your own retail business also is not an easy endeavor.  Encourage those who contribute to your child's learning.  Sometimes they need a shot of encouragement too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog post! All comments are moderated so your message may not appear immediately.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...